Sunday, June 28, 2009

Talking ‘bout BOOKS

‘Dark Places’ by Kate Grenville was chewed, digested and spat out by me last Thursday.
Back cover quote – ‘Kate Grenville has written a disturbing, shocking and darkly funny novel that resonates in the mind with the truth of great writing. Dark Places is a literary triumph’.
Disturbing? Yes. Shocking? Yes. Darkly funny? Dark, yes, funny, no.
Great writing and literary triumph ? Possibly.

Albion Gidley Singer - a despicable lump of human flesh.
I suppose most of us women have come across men like this, a real gentleman on the outside but not worry about a grope or more in the stockroom or back office. I know I have. Hopefully they never sank to the depths Albion Gidley Singer did.
I like to read books for enjoyment and I didn’t enjoy this one little bit although I must say I will not forget reading it (which is more than I can say for some of the books on my list!).

On to the next book – ‘Grasshopper’ by Barbara Vine (aka Ruth Rendell, I have never even wanted to read a Ruth Rendell book so I was very surprised to find this out!).
Picked up from the library on Friday, on reading the back cover and finding out the novel is set in Maida Vale, London. Very grasshopper like in the way it is written, jumping all over place and time. Intriguing.
More next Sunday.

1 comment:

Poopsie aka Blue said...

Have to say, I'm no Ruth Rendall fan, but I do generally enjoy, her writings as Barbara Vine, however Grasshopper wasn't one of them!


But, I would recommended Asta's Story and The Brimstone Wedding.

Enjoy your reading week.
Blue