Saturday, February 18, 2012

Pretty but can be deadly!

When bluebottles sting, they release a powerful toxin, which is most often localised, but the venom has been known to travel to people's armpits and groins via the bloodstream. Stings can be fatal: four people in the Northern Hemisphere have died as a result of severe swelling caused by bluebottle stings.  If you see bluebottles washed up on the beach, leave them alone. Even after they're dead, the slightest amount of moisture has been known to re-hydrate the poison and the stingers. So watch out!
 All washed up along the edge of Yanchep Lagoon yesterday.


Mo said...

Nasty things those blue bottles

Stephanie V said...

Ugh! Scary.